Shariah law is at the heart of Islam and summarizes the edicts of the Prophet Muhammad as written in the Koran. It illustrates that Muhammad was a misogynist who revelled in the total annihilation of non-believers, making a mockery of Islam's "religion of peace" label.
SHARIA LAW is the legal system of Islam, and covers a wide range of issues including public and private behaviour, as well as beliefs. It is has been condensed from the words of the Prophet Muhammad, and there is very little room for interpretation, even by imams.
The problem with Sharia Law (also spelt Shari'a and Shariah) is that it is straight out of the Middle Ages and runs counter to many of the mainstays of modern civilisation. For example, it states that men have domination over women and a husband can rape or beat his wife as he pleases, and any criticism of Islamic beliefs is punishable by death. So Sharia Law is not compatible to the basic premises of modern society: sexual equality, freedom of speech, democracy and human rights. And yet, the many amongst us seem to think it is okay for it to be practiced in Western countries on the basis of "religious tolerance". Well tolerance of intolerance is just stupidity.
Here are some more examples of Sharia Law:
- Theft is punishable by amputation of the right hand (above).
- Criticizing or denying any part of the Quran is punishable by death.
- Criticizing or denying Muhammad is a prophet is punishable by death.
- Criticizing or denying Allah, the moon god of Islam is punishable by death.
- A Muslim who becomes a non-Muslim is punishable by death.
- A non-Muslim who leads a Muslim away from Islam is punishable by death.
- A non-Muslim man who marries a Muslim woman is punishable by death.
- A man can marry an infant girl and consummate the marriage when she is 9 years old.
- Girls' clitoris should be cut (per Muhammad's words in Book 41, Kitab Al-Adab, Hadith 5251).
- A woman can have 1 husband, but a man can have up to 4 wives; Muhammad can have more.
- A man can unilaterally divorce his wife but a woman needs her husband's consent to divorce.
- A man can beat his wife for insubordination.
- Testimonies of four male witnesses are required to prove rape against a woman.
- A woman who has been raped cannot testify in court against her rapist(s).
- A woman's testimony in court, allowed only in property cases, carries half the weight of a man's.
- A female heir inherits half of what a male heir inherits.
- A woman cannot drive a car, as it leads to fitnah (upheaval).
- A woman cannot speak alone to a man who is not her husband or relative.
- Meat to be eaten must come from animals that have been sacrificed to Allah - i.e., be Halal.
- Muslims should engage in Taqiyya and lie to non-Muslims to advance Islam. (source: www.billionbibles.org/sharia/sharia-law.html)
This is an interesting documentary on Sharia law already being implemented in the USA, Britain and Australia.
It is obvious that Sharia Law is deeply misogynous and sexist, but what is not highlighted as well as it could be is the terrible cruelty it inflicts on animals with its insistence of halal slaughter.
All slaughter houses are places of terrible suffering, but those killing animals according to religious traditions (including Halal and Kosher) are far worse. If you must eat meat, avoid Halal and Kosher to minimise suffering.
These examples of Sharia Law illustrate why is is not a good idea to green light this "religious" code in any Western Democracies. To do so will only undermine democracy and freedom itself, eventually leading to the complete destruction of free nations and civility. Those politicians who bow to political correctness and try to tolerate intolerant belief systems are undermining our very democracy.
Copyright © 2015 Jenny Marsh